You probably don’t even need to venture into your garden for this one; you could probably just sniff it off your apple pie. Or maybe not.
In large enough doses, this spicy substance is reported to have significant mind-altering effects. After some snorting, smoking, or eating, a buzz of up to two days is felt, with significant hallucinations and disconnected chatter, similar to the effects of LSD.
Sound fun? Not so much. After 30 minutes, it causes nausea and vomiting and leads to serious heart problems if too much is taken. Folks don’t typically mess with this seemingly innocent spice more than once—the risks far outweigh the trippy effects it induces.
One time, a 29-year-old man and his 27-year-old wife were rushed to a hospital with dizziness, nausea, and auditory distortion. Upon questioning, it was revealed that the husband had accidentally added a third of a jar of seemingly innocuous nutmeg to their date night pasta dish and had proceeded to accidentally give them both nearly fatal overdoses.